Jan 20, 2018
The School of Music offers a Master of Arts degree in Music with specializations in collaborative piano, conducting, jazz studies, music composition, music composition for contemporary media, music education, musicology, and performance. A minor in Music is offered at the graduate level.
Please see undergraduate catalog for information regarding undergraduate programs.
Admission to the Master of Arts in Music program requires
- an earned bachelor’s degree in music from an accredited university or college;
- an acceptable grade point average in all college work taken (at least 3.00);
- completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with acceptable scores.
All application materials are to be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies.
M.A. applicants must
- submit application with the appropriate application fee (online at www.mtsu.edu/graduate/apply.shtml);
- submit official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE);
- submit official transcripts of all previous college work;
- submit three letters of recommendation.
Additionally, those seeking a specialization in music education must submit a 30-minute video recording of themselves teaching.
Candidates for the Master of Arts in Music with a specialization in music education must
- complete the curriculum with 70 percent of the total degree hours at the 6000 level (see Curriculum section below for specifics);
- successfully complete both written and oral comprehensive examinations no earlier than the student’s last semester of study. Comprehensive examinations may be repeated once.
Additionally, those with a specialization in music education must establish proficiencies in music history and music theory*.
*NOTE: Diagnostic examinations in music theory, music history, and diction will be scheduled during the first week of the first semester of study. Students who do not pass the diagnostic examinations should consult with the graduate coordinator to plan how to meet the requirements. Courses taken to meet proficiency requirements do not count toward the degree.
Curriculum: Music, Music Education
Candidate must complete 32 hours in the following course of study:
Specialization Courses (20 hours)
Six (6) hours selected from the following:
- file a degree plan in the College of Graduate Studies prior to the completion of 21 credit hours;
- file a Notice of Intent to Graduate form in the College of Graduate Studies within the first two weeks of the term in which candidate intends to graduate.