Feb 15, 2019
Department of Computer Science
Chrisila Pettey, program coordinator
A major in Computer Science consists of 41 hours of General Education requirements, 44 semester hours of computer science courses, and 35 hours of supporting and elective courses. Specifically a major must have
- a core of CSCI 1170 , CSCI 2170 , CSCI 3080 , CSCI 3110 , CSCI 3130 , CSCI 3240 , and CSCI 4700 ;
- a mathematics core of MATH 1910 , MATH 1920 , and MATH 2050 ;
- additional math courses (4 hours) that can be counted toward a math major;
- COMM 2200 ;
- additional courses as described below.
A maximum of 3 hours in the major may come from CSCI 4280 , CSCI 4600 , and CSCI 4910 . Credit in secondary computer languages toward the major is limited to 3 hours. In order to take any computer science course having a prerequisite, the student must have earned a grade of C (2.00) or better in the prerequisite. Each course counted toward the 44 credit hours of required Computer Science courses must be completed with a grade of C (2.00) or higher. CSCI 1150 is considered a service course and does not count toward a major or minor.
The Professional Computer Science concentration which is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org, requires the following in addition to the core requirements:
- CSCI 3210 and CSCI 4160 ;
- 3 hours in an approved high-level language;
- upper-division computer science electives (9 hours);
- a two-semester sequence in a laboratory science for Science majors (8 hours);
- 4 additional hours in science for Science majors and/or courses with strong emphasis on quantitative methods with a different rubric than the 8-hour science sequence required above.
- 30 semester hours of humanities, social sciences, and other disciplines (excluding science, mathematics, computer science, and physical education).
Curriculum: Professional Computer Science
Curricular listings include General Education requirements in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
Total hours in program: 120
*Professional Computer Science concentration students choose one year-long sequence from BIOL 1110 /BIOL 1111 , BIOL 1120 /BIOL 1121 , CHEM 1010 /CHEM 1011 , CHEM 1020 /CHEM 1021 , CHEM 1110 /CHEM 1111 , CHEM 1120 /CHEM 1121 , PHYS 2010 /PHYS 2011 , PHYS 2020 /PHYS 2121 , PHYS 2110 /PHYS 2111 , PHYS 2120 /PHYS 2121 .
**Professional Computer Science concentration students choose one course with different prefix from that chosen in sophomore year from BIOL 1110 /BIOL 1111 , CHEM 1010 /CHEM 1011 , CHEM 1110 /CHEM 1111 , PHYS 2010 /PHYS 2011 , PHYS 2110 /PHYS 2111 .