Oct 04, 2023
Joseph Morgan, Program Director
The School of Music offers a Master of Music degree with specializations in collaborative piano, conducting, jazz studies, music composition, music composition for contemporary media, music education, musicology, and performance.
The specialization in Music Education is designed for music educators who are currently teaching in K-12 music settings. All courses are taught in a fully online, learning environment, and the program requires completion of a minimum of 33 semester hours.
Please see undergraduate catalog for information regarding undergraduate programs.
Admission to the Master of Music degree program requires
- an earned bachelor’s degree in music from an accredited university or college;
- an acceptable grade point average in all college work taken (at least 3.00).
Additionally, those seeking a specialization in music education must be concurrently teaching in a K-12 music setting while enrolled in the program.
All application materials are to be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies.
- submit application with the appropriate application fee (online at www.mtsu.edu/graduate/apply.php). Once this initial application has been accepted, the applicant will receive directions on how to enter the graduate portal to be able to submit other materials.
- submit official transcripts of all previous college work;
- submit three letters of recommendation.
Additionally, those seeking a specialization in music education must submit a 30-minute video recording (in English) of themselves teaching music.
The Master of Music degree in Music with a specialization in music education requires completion of a minimum of 33 semester hours.
- complete the curriculum with 70 percent of the total degree hours at the 6000 level (see Curriculum section below for specifics);
- successfully complete both written and oral comprehensive examinations no earlier than the student’s last semester of study. Comprehensive examinations may be repeated once.
NOTE: A comprehensive written exam will be administered with Examity online exam proctoring, and a comprehensive oral exam will be administered via Zoom.
Curriculum: Music, Music Education
The following illustrates the minimum coursework requirements.
Specialization Courses (24 hours)
Nine (9) hours selected from the following: