Dec 10, 2023
Academic Advisor for MSN Program
The School of Nursing offers the Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.).
Please see undergraduate catalog for information regarding undergraduate programs.
NOTE: Admission is closed; this program will become inactive Spring 2018.
Admission to the Master of Science in Nursing with a concentration in Nursing Education requires
- residence in Tennessee;
- an unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Tennessee;
- a bachelor’s degree with an overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (conditional admission will be considered with a 2.9 overall B.S. GPA);
- successful completion of a 3-semester-hour or 4-quarter-hour undergraduate level statistics course;
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) if needed. Graduate school score requirements vary by TBR university. Consult the graduate admission requirements at each campus for further details.
Students are advised to contact the graduate program advisor in the School of Nursing before beginning the application procedure. Applications are due by October 1 for spring admission, February 1 for summer admission, and April 1 for fall admission.
- submit application with the appropriate application fee (online at www.mtsu.edu/graduate/apply.php);
- submit official copies of transcripts;
- submit three signed letters of recommendation;
- submit an updated vita or resume;
- submit a copy of R.N. license.
NOTE: All students must first apply to the TNeCampus program at www.tnecampus.org. Students approved and assigned to MTSU will then apply to the MTSU College of Graduate Studies.
- complete 36 hours of graduate nursing courses with a B or better in all courses,
- maintain current documentation within the School of Nursing document storage account, and
- complete a practicum in accordance with TN eCampus requirements for this degree.
Curriculum: Nursing, Nursing Education
Candidate must complete 40 hours in the following course of study:
Core Courses (15 hours)
- NURS 6000 - Theoretical Foundations 3 credit hours
- NURS 6001 - Health Care Policy 3 credit hours
- NURS 6002 - Advanced Nursing Research 3 credit hours
- NURS 6003 - Advanced Role Development 3 credit hours
- NURS 6990 - Scholarly Synthesis 3 credit hours
Concentration Courses (16 hours)
Clinical Focus Course (3 hours)
Select one course from the following:
Practicum (6 hours)
- NURS 6207 - Clinical Focus Practicum 2 credit hours
- NURS 6209 - Nursing Education Practicum 4 credit hours
Total practice contact hours - 360
Clinical Focus Practicum - 120; Nursing Education Practicum - 240
The School of Nursing also offers selected graduate courses that may be transferred to programs offering the Master of Science in Nursing. Other courses designed to assist individuals to meet the requirements of the State of Tennessee Board of Nursing for a Certificate of Fitness to practice as an Advanced Practice Nurse are also available. Please contact the School of Nursing for further information.