Sep 30, 2023  
2022-23 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-23 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies and Procedures

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Academic Advising

Each student is strongly encouraged to meet with his/her advisor prior to course selection to review progress toward graduation. All new freshmen and new transfer students are required to complete advising before initial registration will be permitted.

Each student is assigned to the academic college which corresponds to his or her major area of study. Each college has an advising center with academic advisors assigned to certain populations. Academic advisors are available to answer questions from any faculty member or student, but they specialize in helping students with selection of majors, minors, and courses. They also play pivotal roles in CUSTOMS (student orientation) and registration. This will be your primary advisor for most majors. Academic advisors schedule appointments through an online scheduling system. 

Faculty advisors are assigned by departments. Faculty advisors are professors in a student’s major and provide guidance in the areas of graduate schools, internships, and careers. Faculty advisors post a schedule of office hours, and each student should feel free to call on his or her advisor or any faculty member or professional advisor at any time assistance or discussion is appropriate. Some programs require an academic advisor’s permission for selection of classes.

Academic and Classroom Misconduct

  1. The instructor has the primary responsibility for maintenance of academic integrity and controlling classroom behavior and can order the temporary removal or exclusion from the classroom of any student engaged in disruptive conduct or conduct that violates the general rules and regulations of the institution for each class session during which the conduct occurs. Extended or permanent exclusion from the classroom, beyond the session in which the conduct occurred, or further disciplinary action can be implemented only through appropriate procedures of the institution. If an instructor wishes to remove a student from the classroom for a longer period of time or permanently, she/he must refer the student to the Office of Student Conduct.
  2. Plagiarism, cheating, and other forms of academic dishonesty are prohibited. Students who are suspected of academic misconduct will be referred to the director of Academic Integrity. The academic misconduct process is described in MTSU Policy 312 Academic Misconduct. Courses may not be dropped pending the final resolution of an allegation of academic misconduct.
  3. Students who accept responsibility for or are found responsible of academic misconduct, either directly or indirectly, through participation or assistance, will be assigned appropriate sanctions either by the director of Academic Integrity or by the Academic Misconduct Committee. In these instances, the faculty member has the authority to assign an appropriate grade for the exercise or examination, or to assign an “F” in the course, as is proportional to the nature and extent of academic misconduct. When assigning a grade based on academic misconduct, the faculty member shall ensure that the student is made aware of his/her appeal rights.
  4. Disruptive behavior in the classroom may be defined as, but not limited to, behavior that obstructs or disrupts the learning environment (e.g., offensive language, harassment of students and professors, repeated outbursts from a student which disrupt the flow of instruction or prevent concentration on the subject taught, failure to cooperate in maintaining classroom decorum, etc.), text messaging, and the continued use of any electronic or other noise or light emitting device which disturbs others (e.g., disturbing noises from beepers, cell phones, palm pilots, laptop computers, games, etc.).

This policy is promulgated pursuant to, and in compliance with, MTSU Policy 312 Academic Misconduct.

Academic Fresh Start

Any person who has not been enrolled in a college or university for a period of at least four years and has not earned a bachelor’s degree or higher and any time after readmission or admission as a degree-seeking student may request an Academic Fresh Start by completing an Academic Fresh Start Application, preparing a degree plan with an advisor, and receiving approval from the appropriate college advising manager. The student’s permanent record will remain a record of all work; however, courses taken and previously failed will be excluded from the GPA calculations. Courses with a D grade will also be excluded when a grade of C or better is required in the student’s current major. The student may be granted a Fresh Start only once and the Fresh Start cannot be reversed. This policy is independent of financial aid regulations. More information may be obtained here.

Academic Progress

Faculty report academic progress for certain populations of students as well as any students for which a faculty member has concerns. Additionally, mid-term grades are reported for every undergraduate course.  An Academic Progress report will reflect feedback from a professor which could include an estimated grade and/or comments. An email notification is sent to the student if an Academic Progress report is posted. Details related to the report can be accessed on PipelineMT ► Registration and Student Records ► Academic Records ►Academic Progress Report.

Academic Standing (Retention Standards and Grades)

Students may view grades and academic standing online each semester by selecting the appropriate option on PipelineMT. No student may view grades on PipelineMT until all debts or obligations owed to MTSU have been satisfied. Students with holds may come to the MT One Stop in the Student Services and Admission Center with a photo ID to be informed of their grades.

It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of his/her grades and academic standing. Academic standing could be good standing, probation, or suspension, and it is calculated at the end of each term after grades are received, repeats are marked, and GPA is calculated. Academic standing is listed on the student transcript after end-of-term processing each term.

A grade change could potentially change a student’s current academic standing. Grade changes are processed daily and email notifications of the grade changes are sent to the student’s and faculty’s MTSU email addresses. Once the next semester begins, academic standing is not recalculated even if grade changes are received unless a university error was made.

An email is sent to the student’s MTSU email address if he or she is placed on probation or suspension, but it is the student’s responsibility to check his/her academic standing on PipelineMT after each semester concludes.


If a student is placed on probation, the student must attain one of the following retention standards:

1. a 2.00 GPA for current term, OR

2. meet one of the following retention standards:
    00-29.99 GPA hours: 1.50 overall combined GPA
    30-49.99 GPA hours: 1.80 overall combined GPA
    50 or more GPA hours: 2.00 overall combined GPA

A student on academic probation who does not meet either the current term GPA or overall combined GPA in the above standards during the next term in which enrolled will be suspended. First-time suspension is for one semester (not including summer) and any subsequent suspension will be for two (2) semesters (not including summer). Students with a prior suspension from MTSU or previous institution(s) are not eligible for probationary status and will be suspended for two (2) semesters (not including summer) if the retention standard is not met. (See re-enrollment policy .)


If a student is suspended, any future registration is purged and the student cannot attend MTSU for the length of the suspension. A student can appeal a suspension. (See Appeal of Academic Suspension for more details.) Students should also be aware of the difference between a financial aid suspension due to unsatisfactory progress and an academic suspension based on grades and GPA. A financial aid suspension means the student can still attend MTSU; however, the student will not receive financial aid. An academic suspension means the student cannot attend MTSU for the length of the suspension even if eligible for financial aid. These are two different suspensions, and there are two different appeal processes that are independent of each other.

Any student who lacks prescribed courses and attends another Tennessee public school while on suspension from MTSU must enroll for those prescribed/learning support courses while attending the other school, if available. Any student who attends another school while on suspension from MTSU must reapply and meet current admission standards.

International students attending MTSU on student or exchange visas may not be readmitted after their second suspension even though the normal suspension period is over. According to the terms of their eligibility forms (I-20 or DS-2019), international students are expected to do satisfactory academic work and maintain a full course of study at MTSU. Failure to do this invalidates their student status, and Immigration Service will be notified. International students who are suspended may appeal to the Academic Appeals Committee for reinstatement if they feel that their poor academic performance was due to circumstances beyond their control.

Academic Year

The regular academic year is divided into two terms, Fall and Spring. There is also the Summer term which is divided into several parts of term.

During a Fall or Spring term, there are two accelerated parts of term offered in a seven-week format during the full term. There is also a Winter Session offered as part of the Spring term in between the end of Fall and the start of Spring.


No student will be issued a diploma, certificate, or transcript of his/her record until all debts or obligations owed to the University have been satisfied. Students with holds may visit the MT One Stop in the Student Services and Admission Center with a photo ID to be informed of their grades.

Appeal of Academic Suspension

MTSU is committed to helping students achieve their academic goals. However, some students fail to maintain an adequate grade point average and are academically suspended. Students are responsible for being aware of their academic standing. Email messages regarding academic suspension are sent to students’ MTSU email addresses. Students should check their MTSU email and academic standing on PipelineMT after all grades are posted and the overall combined GPA is calculated.

Academic appeals for undergraduate students will be reviewed by an Academic Appeals Committee and consideration will be given for readmission if the student presents adequate evidence of ability, maturity, and motivation. A college transcript and required materials submitted by the student are reviewed by this committee to determine if they think students can do college-level work and if they are motivated to be successful in school. The Academic Appeals Committee decides if the suspension stands or if the student can be readmitted. Conditions that this committee might impose, if a student is readmitted, could be limiting enrollment in 4 (summer only), 8, or 14 credit hours for the semester and/or requiring the student to see the college advisor. This committee’s decision is final and only applies to the semester for which the student appealed. There is no higher appeal.

Readmission by the Academic Appeals Committee does not imply reinstatement of financial aid, if applicable. Students should be aware of the difference between a financial aid suspension due to unsatisfactory progress and an academic suspension based on grades and overall combined GPA and that these are two different appeal processes that are independent of each other. The academic appeal form may be obtained at the MT One Stop or at

Students appealing for Fall term can appeal at the Summer or Fall meeting (not both). Appealing for the Fall term at the May meeting allows students to receive the committee’s decision in May rather than having to wait until August. Students should access, refer to the current MTSU registration guide, or contact personnel in the MT One Stop for the deadline date applicable to each semester.

Students who wish to appeal an academic suspension must complete the current appeal form and submit with the required documentation by the published deadline. It is the student’s responsibility to follow-up to determine receipt of an appeal by the Registrar’s office.

Cancellation of Scheduled Classes

The right is reserved to cancel any class when the number of students enrolled is deemed insufficient per minimums listed below.

1000 - 2000 = 15 students enrolled
3000 - 5000 = 10 students enrolled
6000 = 8 students enrolled
7000 = 6 students enrolled

Change of Major

Choosing the right major and minor can be challenging, and many students make the decision to change their majors and/or minors sometime during their undergraduate careers. Students may explore possible major career fields in Peck Hall 142, or by visiting

Any student who wants to change current major; change catalog requirement year; or add an additional major, concentration, or minor must meet with his/her current college advisor or the college advisor of the proposed new major/minor. Some majors require candidacy prior to enrollment in upper-division courses.

Only college and faculty advisors can submit a curriculum change to the Records Office for processing on behalf of the student. Submitted major/minor changes will be processed for the current term. Once the change is made, updated degree requirements will be viewable in DegreeWorks and will used for determining federal aid eligible for Course Program of Study (CPoS).

When the Records Office receives an advisor-approved change for a student receiving military veterans’ benefits, secondary approval from the Daniels Center will be required before the student’s curriculum is updated. Student-athletes may request a change of major by meeting with the appropriate SAEC advisor for approval and completing required paperwork in conjunction with the appropriate college advisor.

Class Attendance

A student is expected to attend/engage in each class for which he/she is registered except in cases of unavoidable circumstances and should not attend or engage in classes for which he/she is not officially registered.

MTSU does not require faculty to take attendance at each class period, even though some faculty may choose to do so. Therefore, participation may be confirmed by the use of an academically related activity. Faculty are required to confirm attendance by the census date. If a grade of F is reported at the end of the semester, faculty are required to report the date of the last academically related activity (source documentation required) or the mid-point semester date if no source documentation is available. Non-participation can have an adverse effect on receipt of various financial aid and scholarships and may result in repayment being required.

Students who stop attending or engaging but do not officially withdraw may receive a grade of FA, which may negatively impact financial aid and scholarships, including lottery and loans.

Exceptions are made for University-sanctioned activities. Students shall not be penalized for such absences. Students anticipating participation in University functions which will take them out of classes should discuss these absences with their instructors at the earliest convenient time.

The fact that a student may be absent from a class does not in any way relieve that student of the responsibility for the work covered or assigned during the absence. It is the responsibility of faculty members to excuse or refuse to excuse absences of students who miss their classes. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain excuses for absences and to arrange with the faculty member in question to make up the work missed. Absences begin with the first date the student is enrolled in class.

If emergency circumstances prevent contacting the professor or department, the student may contact the MT One Stop for notification to the instructor(s) at (615) 494-8910. Only the instructor of the class concerned can excuse an absence.

MTSU does not usually close because of inclement weather, but students will be allowed to use their own discretion when snow and icy conditions exist; they will be given the opportunity to make up the missed classes should they decide not to attend. To determine if classes are cancelled, students should listen to area radio and television stations, call the news line at (615) 904-8215, or access the University home page at

Any student who is absent from a state college or university during any school term or portion thereof in excess of thirty (30) days due to active military service shall be entitled to withdraw and receive a tuition credit in the form of credit hours for each credit hour paid by, or on behalf of, such student, or a refund for any payments made. Tuition credit shall be given only if the reserve or National Guard student did not receive a final grade in the course for which tuition credit is sought.

Classification of Students

No student may be classified as a sophomore until after earning at least 30 semester hours.

No student may be classified as a junior until after earning at least 60 hours.

No student may be classified as a senior until after earning at least 90 hours.

Complaints and Grievances

Middle Tennessee State University wants to ensure all students have a positive educational experience, are treated fairly and courteously by University personnel, and are provided an outlet to address conditions and circumstances that concern them. Procedures for student complaints and grievances may be found at

Course Numbers

Courses numbered 1000-1999 are on the first year or freshman level; 2000-2999 on the second year or sophomore level; 3000-3999 on the third year or junior level; 4000-4999 on the fourth year or senior level; 5000 and above on the graduate level. Course numbers defined as basic or developmental are not acceptable as degree credit work.

Course Substitution

Course substitutions are needed when a course does not fulfill a degree requirement; however, it is determined in consultation with an advisor that the course would be an appropriate replacement. The course substitution form requires approval by the advisor, chair, and dean of the student’s major or minor program depending on what requirement is being substituted. Corrections for transfer courses that are not appropriately equated may also be marked on the course substitution form.

Credit Hour Unit

A credit hour unit is one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for 15 weeks, or equivalent academic activities, to achieve the student learning outcomes for the credit hour. Laboratory and studio classes usually earn one credit for each two hours of attendance or equivalent for a semester unless otherwise indicated.

Dean’s List

Dean’s List designations are made each semester and are based on full-time undergraduate degree credit enrollment. Students whose GPAs for the current semester are 3.50 or greater are placed on the Dean’s List. Courses graded on a pass/fail basis will count as GPA hours in calculating full-time status for determination of Dean’s List designation. The grade of P will not count as GPA hours for determination of grade point average.

Double (or Second) Major

A student may elect to obtain a double or second major for graduation by meeting the following requirements:

  1. Satisfy general requirements as prescribed by the University and the specific requirements set forth by each major and for the degree sought.
  2. Two properly approved upper-division forms must be filed, one for each major.
  3. In the case of a major requiring two minors, the second major may count toward fulfillment of one minor provided it meets the requirements of the particular degree. In the case of a B.A. degree which requires only one minor, the second major may count as the required minor.
  4. The degree sought must be compatible with both majors; that is, a student with a major appropriate for the B.S. degree may not choose a second major that is not offered under the B.S. degree. As an example, a student pursuing a B.S. degree with a major in Mathematics may not opt for a second major in Music which is not offered under the B.S. degree. Note: Only one diploma is issued.

Dropping or Adding Courses

Students are prohibited from dropping prescribed courses except under extenuating circumstances with the approval of the chair of University Studies.

NOTE: Student-athletes must obtain permission from the Student-Athlete Enhancement Center before processing drop/add forms in the MT One Stop. Any student receiving military benefits who adds or drops classes must notify the Daniels Center located in KUC 124. International students must consult with the International Affairs Office prior to dropping any courses to note the impact dropping could have on their status.

The procedures and deadlines to drop and add a class are listed online. A student who stops attending a class but does not officially drop the class may be assigned a grade of FA which will be recorded on the student’s permanent record.

Students finding it necessary to withdraw from the University after having selected classes for a future term should use PipelineMT to drop all classes or initiate the withdrawal process at the MT One Stop, (615) 898-2111.

Dates may vary from term to term concerning whether the withdrawal should be accomplished by PipelineMT or in person at the MT One Stop. Check the appropriate registration guide for specific dates.

Dual Degree

A student may elect to obtain a dual degree for graduation by meeting the following requirements:

  1. Satisfy general requirements as prescribed by the University and the specific requirements set forth by each major and for the degree sought.
  2. Two (2) properly approved upper-division forms must be filed, one for each major. NOTE: Some colleges no longer require upper-division forms.
  3. In the case of a major requiring two minors, the second major may count toward fulfillment of one minor provided it meets the requirements of the particular degree. In the case of a B.A. degree which requires only one minor, the second major may count as the required minor.
  4. The degrees sought must be different degree types (for example, B.A. and B.S.).


MTSU communicates with students via the MTMAIL account issued to students during admission to the University. It is the student’s responsibility to read emails in their MTMAIL accounts regularly.

Enrollment Verification

The following schedule of hours attempted will be used to determine the enrollment status requested by undergraduate students: Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters: full-time - 12 semester hours or more, three-quarter time - 9-11 hours, and half time - 6-8 hours, and less than half time 5 hours or less. Course withdrawal or reported for nonattendance may change enrollment status. In Fall and Spring terms, enrollment certifications are official beginning the fifth day of the term. MTSU has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to provide enrollment and degree verifications. NSC may be contacted at

National Student Clearinghouse
13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171-3280
Web: or
Phone: (703) 742-4200
Fax: (703) 742-4239

Students may print their own enrollment verification free of charge by accessing PipelineMT ► Registration and Student Records ► Enrollment Verification. Preliminary verification can also be requested at the MT One Stop prior to the fifth day of class.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. Students must be afforded notice of their rights under FERPA, and the types of personally identifiable information considered as directory information. Students can request to view their education records by submitting an official request to the Registrar’s Office, SSAC 150. Additional information and the University policy may be accessed at

Education Records at MTSU

The policy governing education records at MTSU may be accessed at

Grade Point Average

The following quality point system is used in determining the grade point average (GPA):

  For each credit hour of A:
For each credit hour of B+:
For each credit hour of B:
For each credit hour of B-:
For each credit hour of C+:
For each credit hour of C:
For each credit hour of C-:
For each credit hour of D+:
For each credit hour of D:
For each credit hour of D-:
For each credit hour of F or FA:
4 quality points
3.33 quality points
3 quality points
2.67 quality points
2.33 quality points
2 quality points
1.67 quality points
1.33 quality points
1 quality point
0.67 quality points
0 quality points

The academic standing of a student is expressed in terms of grade point average which is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of GPA hours. Following is an example:

Course Hours   Grade Points
ENGL 1010 
BIOL 1030 /BIOL 1031 
ART 1030 
SOC 1010 
MUS 1030  
  C (2.0)
B (3.0)
B (3.0)
B (3.0)
F (0.0)
  16     36

To get the quality points listed in the last column, the credit hours (column 2) are multiplied by the point value of the grade earned (column 3); then the 36 is divided by 16 for a GPA of 2.25.

The GPA is rounded and truncated after the thousands position, and no further rounding up or down of the GPA is done in determining eligibility for retention, graduation, honors, dean’s list designation, or taking an overload.

The section on Repeated Courses explains the computation of the GPA for students who repeat courses. The grade of F/FA counts as GPA hours with zero quality points earned; P grades carry hours earned but no quality points or GPA hours.

At the undergraduate level, there are two groups of GPAs on the official transcript-Overall and Overall Combined. Students who have taken developmental studies classes (applies to undergraduate students only), will see these credits included in the Overall Combined line. The Overall Combined GPA is the combined undergraduate college and remedial/developmental GPA. This GPA is used to determine retention standards (good standing/probation/suspension). Other GPAs with explanation may be viewed on PipelineMT.

Grades (Marking System)

Following is a description of the criteria used in assigning letter grades:

A-work of distinctly superior quality and quantity accompanied by unusual evidence of achievement
B-work of good quality and quantity accompanied by evidence of achievement beyond the essentials of a course
C-work demonstrating fulfillment of the essentials of a course
D-passing work, but below the standards of graduation quality
F-failure, necessitating repetition of the course to obtain credit
FA-failure (and stopped attending)
N-no credit, nonpunitive (assigned only in certain courses); not used after Spring 2022
P-passing (assigned only in certain courses)
I-incomplete (not used in calculating grade point average)
W-assigned in courses which are dropped during a specified period of time within a term. Students should consult online for specific dates each term.
NC-no credit (audit)
X-grade not submitted by instructor-not used in calculating grade point average
PCV-Pass (used only Spring 2020 due to Covid-19 disruption - not used in calculating grade point average) More information available at

Plus/minus grading for undergraduate courses became effective Fall 2000. Grades which may be assigned are

B+, B, B-
C+, C, C-
D+, D, D-

Plus/minus grades will be posted for students who transfer to MTSU Fall 2000 or after. Plus/minus grading for students enrolled at MTSU prior to Fall 2000 will not be retroactive to any term prior to Fall 2000. Reenrollment students who reenroll will not be eligible to have courses reevaluated if courses taken at a previous transfer institution prior to Fall 2000 were graded on a plus/minus system.

Effective Summer 2015, students transferring new credits will have transfer grades posted with a leading ‘T’ and transfer grades will not be calculated in the overall and overall combined GPAs. For example, an A would be posted as TA, B+ as TB+, W as TW.

The P grade is given only in those courses with prior approval to use pass/fail grading. Courses may be taught on a pass/fail basis only after the approval of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee. Catalog course descriptions include information indicating which courses are approved for pass/fail grading.

No more than fifteen semester hours in pass/fail coursework may be attempted by any student during any one semester. No more than one-half of the degree requirements may be obtained through credit-by-examination, credit for military service-related experience, flight training, and courses in which nontraditional grading such as pass/fail is used. More information can be found under the general requirements for the baccalaureate degrees elsewhere in this catalog.

The grade I indicates that the student has not completed all course requirements because of illness or other uncontrollable circumstances, especially those which may occur toward the close of the term. Mere failure to make up work or turn in required work on time does not provide a basis for the grade of I unless the extenuating circumstances noted above are present for reasons acceptable to the instructor. When a student fails to appear for the final examination without known cause, the grade to be reported should be determined as follows: If the student has done satisfactory work to that point, the grade I may be reported on the assumption that the student is ill or will otherwise present sufficient reason for official excuse; if the student has attended irregularly and has not done satisfactory work to that point, the grade F with last day of attendance (LDA) should be reported.

The incomplete must be removed during the succeeding semester, excluding summer. Otherwise, the instructor default grade is entered. A student cannot make up the incomplete by registering and paying again for the same course, nor can the student attend a class without registration. The I grade carries no value until converted to a final grade.

A grade of I may prevent the awarding of Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarships in subsequent semesters.

Grades-Appeal of Course Grades

An “appeal” is a request by a student for a determination by a Grade Appeals Committee of an assigned grade where inequities or unethical or unprofessional actions are alleged.

Level One

  1. Student appeals should be resolved by a conference between the student and the faculty member who assigned the grade and held within ten (10) business days of the official start of the following semester, not including Summer terms. If the grade is assigned during the Fall, the timeline begins in the Spring. For grades assigned during the Spring or Summer, the timeline begins in the Fall.
  2. In the event of an impasse between the student and the faculty member, a student with a grade appeal shall discuss it with the department chair/director within ten (10) business days of the conference with the involved faculty member. In cases where the department chair/director is the person against whom the complaint is lodged, the dean in whose college the department is located shall assume the duties of the chair/director in the investigation and decision-making.
  3. The department chair/director shall investigate the circumstances and record his/her findings. Although the department chair/director does not have the power to change the grade, he/she will make a recommendation concerning the appeal. The department chair/director will send a copy of the findings and recommendation to the student and to the faculty member within ten (10) business days of the conference with the student. The student is required to include a copy of the department chair/director’s findings and recommendation with other relevant materials submitted to request a formal grade appeal. (See Level Two below.) The recommendation and findings will become a part of the appeal record.

Level Two (can be initiated only after Level One has been completed)

  1. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of level one, he/she may, within fifteen (15) business days following receipt of the department chair’s/director’s recommendation, refer the appeal, plus all relevant materials to the Office of the Provost. In addition to a copy of the department chair’s/director’s findings and recommendation, materials should include a written statement outlining the basis of the grade appeal. (See MTSU Grade Appeal Student Form.) The appeal to the Provost’s Office must be submitted within forty (40) business days of the official start of the term following the grade assignment, not including Summer terms. The overall Grade Appeals Committee will be divided by college into subcommittees. Each subcommittee will elect a chair. The vice provost for faculty affairs shall determine which subcommittee will hear the appeal and transmit the appeal documents to the subcommittee chair. A given subcommittee will not hear appeals originating in courses offered in its own college but will deal with appeals from other colleges.
  2. Written notification of the meeting and of an opportunity to appear before the Grade Appeals Committee will be sent by the subcommittee chair to the concerned faculty member and student. The subcommittee will receive documents and hear testimony regarding the circumstances and shall render a written decision. A simple majority of members present constitutes a quorum for purposes of reaching a decision. Notification of the subcommittee’s decision will be made by the subcommittee chair to the student, faculty member, department chair/director, college dean, vice provost for faculty affairs, and the registrar.
  3. The decision of the subcommittee hearing the appeal will be final.


  1. If a student’s financial aid is reduced or not awarded due to the grade the student is appealing, the MTSU Financial Aid Office may not be able to reinstate the student’s aid because of federal or state deadlines.
  2. A student or faculty member involved with a grade appeal may discuss his/her case informally with a member of the faculty or administration, but not with a member of a Grade Appeals Committee. A committee member who discusses the grade appeal with the faculty member or student concerned shall automatically disqualify himself/herself from any further proceedings of the case.
  3. The number of days indicated at each level above shall be considered the maximum, but every effort should be made to expedite the process.
  4. The failure of the student to proceed from Level One of the appeal procedure to Level Two within the prescribed time limits shall be deemed to be an acceptance of the recommendations and/or decision rendered in Level One. All further considerations and proceedings regarding that particular appeal shall cease at that point.
  5. A grade appeal may be withdrawn at any level without prejudice. However, the stated time frames continue to be applicable if the student determines to begin the process again.
  6. All appeal proceedings shall be kept as confidential as may be appropriate at each level.
  7. The Grade Appeals Committee shall have reasonable access to all official records for information necessary in making its determination.
  8. Appeals of grades assigned in the Spring or Summer semesters will be considered in the Summer only under two (2) circumstances:
    1. If it affects the student’s ability to graduate in the Summer; or
    2. If the vice provost determines that there are extenuating circumstances to warrant a special hearing.
  9. Otherwise, such appeals will be held over until the beginning of the Fall semester. If an appeal is to be heard in the Summer, an ad hoc committee of the chairs/available members from each grade appeals committee will hear the case. If a chair cannot attend the Summer meeting, he/she will, if at all possible, endeavor to provide a replacement from his/her committee. The chair from the college in which the appeal originated shall be excused from the meeting. There will also be a student representative assigned with one alternate, each not from the college from which the appeal originates.

Graduate Courses, Permission to Enroll in

Seniors at MTSU with 90 semester hours of credit may be allowed to take up to 12 semester hours of graduate coursework. Approval is required by the student’s undergraduate department chair, the graduate department chair, and by the dean of the College of Graduate Studies. With the exception of students enrolled in an approved Accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s (ABM) program and those receiving undergraduate approval from a department chair, graduate department chair, and the College of Graduate Studies to take a graduate course to meet an undergraduate degree requirement, graduate coursework may not be used to meet the requirements for an undergraduate degree. Undergraduate students wanting to take graduate courses must complete the Application for MTSU Undergraduate Students to Take Graduate Work which is available through the College of Graduate Studies.


Graduation is conducted at the close of the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. Murphy Center is the site of this important occasion. Students who plan to graduate should complete an Intent to Graduate form during priority registration when two semesters are remaining for graduation. This form is available online at and must be submitted to the appropriate graduation analyst.

Students may review progress toward degree completion by using DegreeWorks on PipelineMT.

All students must complete the general requirements as prescribed by the University and the specific requirements set forth for the degree sought. A minimum of 120 hours is required.

A student must have a 2.00 overall GPA and a 2.00 average in the major to graduate. Some departments require a 2.00 GPA in the minor. No more than 25 percent of the credits for nonbusiness degrees may be in courses commonly found in a school or college of business nor can more than one business minor be completed. No student will be issued a diploma, certificate of credit, or transcript of his/her record until all debts or obligations owed to the University have been satisfied. All requirements for a degree must be met by the time of graduation. This includes incomplete grades and transfer credit from other colleges. (See Undergraduate Degree Requirements .)

Applicable Catalog-Students may elect to meet the requirements of any one catalog published while they are in attendance at Middle Tennessee State University provided graduation is within seven years of the first academic term covered by the catalog elected. Students transferring from a TBR community college may also elect to meet the requirements of any one catalog published while they are in attendance provided graduation is within seven years of the first academic term covered by the catalog elected.

Graduation with Honors-Undergraduates

Recognition of honors at the graduation ceremony will be made for those students obtaining the required inclusive grade point average at the time of submission of the commencement program for printing.

Cum Laude: 3.500-3.749 inclusive GPA
Magna Cum Laude: 3.750-3.899 inclusive GPA
Summa Cum Laude: 3.900-4.000 inclusive GPA

Official notation of graduation with honors is entered on the diploma and the transcript and is based on the inclusive* grade point average on all degree credit courses at the end of the final semester. Grade point average is rounded and then truncated after the thousandth position.

*NOTE: Inclusive GPA refers to the combination of the student’s grade point average on all MTSU and college-level transfer coursework. The inclusive GPA is listed on PipelineMT ► Registration and Student Records ► Academic Records ► GPAs. The inclusive GPA may not match the overall GPA used to determine graduation eligibility.

NOTE: Honors grade point average calculations for students seeking a second or subsequent bachelor’s degree may include all undergraduate credit hours, even those taken for a previously earned degree.

Identification Card

The MTSU BlueID card identifies MTSU students, faculty, and staff for access to campus services and privileges. The BlueID card may be used to check out books at the library; be admitted to the Campus Recreation Center, campus computer labs, and residence halls; cash checks; attend campus events and purchase extra tickets; receive student health services; and pay for food via student meal and budget plans.

The BlueID card may be used as a debit card. Students may deposit money into a RAIDER FUND$ account; then, use the BlueID card rather than cash or checks for purchases at the campus bookstore, to pay registration fees, buy a soft drink or snack, or to purchase meals at any of the food service locations on campus.

Lottery (Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship) GPA

Calculation of the GPA for receipt of the scholarship does not include credits earned prior to high school graduation and is subject to the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship course repeat policy.

Lower and Upper Division

Courses numbered 1000 and 2000 are on the lower-division level. Courses numbered 3000 and 4000 are on the upper-division level.

Misrepresentation of Academic Credentials

It is a Class A misdemeanor to misrepresent academic credentials. A person commits the offense of misrepresentation of academic credentials who, knowing that the statement is false and with the intent to secure employment at or admission to an institution of higher education in Tennessee, represents, orally or in writing that such person

  1. has successfully completed the required course work for and has been awarded one (1) or more degrees or diplomas from an accredited institution of higher education;
  2. has successfully completed the required course work for and has been awarded one (1) or more degrees for diplomas from a particular institution of higher education; or
  3. has successfully completed the required course work for and has been awarded one (1) or more degrees or diplomas in a particular field or specialty from an accredited institution of higher education.

Repeated Courses

Students may repeat courses for the purpose of raising their grade point averages subject to the following:

  1. No course should be attempted more than twice (i.e., repeated more than once) except upon the advice of the faculty/college advisor. The first time a course is taken is the first attempt; it is not a repeat until taken again. If a student repeats a course more than once, the hours will be added to the total GPA hours and therefore will be included in figuring the overall and overall combined grade point averages.
    For example
  first attempt of ENGL 1010 :
    F = 0 GPA hours, 0 hours earned;
  first repeat of ENGL 1010 :
    F = 3 GPA hours, 0 hours earned
  second repeat of ENGL 1010 :
    C = 6 GPA hours, 3 hours earned.

An example of a successful repeat:

  first attempt of ENGL 1010 :
    F = 0 GPA hours, 0 hours earned;
  first repeat of ENGL 1010 :
    C = 3 GPA hours, 3 hours earned.

In other words, if a student repeats a course once and improves the grade, the effect on the overall and overall combined hours taken is the same as if the course were successfully completed on the first attempt. However, if a student takes a course multiple times, each repeat increases the cumulative GPA hours; taking the same three-semester-hour course five times, for example, is one attempt and four repeats and therefore is 12 GPA hours;

  1. The last grade earned will stand even if the last grade received is an F or FA and the student has previously received a grade higher than an F or FA. The previous passing grade will not calculate in hours earned. All repeated courses remain on the student’s transcript with repeat notation.
  2. Veterans receiving educational assistance benefits may not repeat courses previously passed and receive veterans financial assistance for such unless a minimum grade is required in the program.
  3. Students may not repeat a course in which they have previously earned the grade of A or B or P without approval from the department which houses the course.
  4. Students may not repeat a course in which they have a current grade of I (incomplete). Students must make arrangements with the instructor who assigned the incomplete to finish the course during the succeeding semester, excluding summer.
  5. Students may use either ENGL 2020  or ENGL 2030  or HUM 2610  interchangeably for purposes of repeating a course but must notify the Records Office of such intent.
  6. This repeat policy took effect in Fall 1981. All courses attempted since then are subject to this policy. Courses attempted prior to Fall 1981 are subject to the previous repeat policy.
  7. Students who receive the Lottery Scholarship are subject to course repeat policies of the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship regulation rules. Contact the MT One Stop for specific rules.


The schedule of courses provided online each semester is for the convenience and guidance of students and faculty. The University reserves the right to change courses and schedules when the interest of all concerned may best be served.

Semester Hour Load of Student

Students should determine their semester course loads after careful consideration of time commitment outside the classroom. Students who work a significant number of hours per week should consider attempting fewer hours each semester. One’s own time commitments, work and study habits, and other considerations should be reviewed with the academic advisor prior to the selection of courses.

Fifteen or sixteen semester hours of credit is the “normal” Fall or Spring load for students who wish to graduate in four years. Eighteen semester hours (excluding courses for audit) is the maximum load for a student during any semester while enrolled only at MTSU or concurrently at another institution.

  1. Students with a 3.50 average on all college work attempted may be permitted to take up to 21 semester hours in a semester.
  2. Students with a 3.00 average may be permitted to take a maximum of 19 hours in a semester provided one hour is a physical education activity.
  3. Graduating seniors may be permitted to take an overload with the limits above during the last semester in residence to graduate.

Following are the maximum number of semester hours in which an undergraduate student may enroll during parts of term within a Summer term:

  • 1-Full Term-18 hours
  • S3A, S3B, S3C, S3D: 3-week terms - 4 hours
  • S5A, S5B, S6A, S6B: 5-week or 6-week terms - 8 hours
  • All Parts of Term - combined total of 18 hours

Students who wish to enroll for credit hours in excess of these limitations must obtain permission at least two weeks prior to registering for classes from the academic advisor and the dean of the college in which that student is pursuing a major. Student athletes must obtain permission of the advisor in the Student Athletic Enhancement Center prior to obtaining approval of the academic advisor and dean of the college in which student is pursuing a major.

Transcript of Credits

Official copies of a student’s record are furnished upon request with written signature by the student at the MT One Stop or may be ordered 24/7 through Parchment. Information can be found at No student will be issued a diploma, certificate, or transcript of record until all debts or obligations owed to MTSU have been satisfied. Unofficial copies may be viewed on PipelineMT provided all debts or obligations are satisfied. Students with holds may come to the MT One Stop in the SSAC and present a photo ID to be informed of their grades.

Withdrawals from the University

The MT One Stop handles all issues relating to withdrawing from the University. Please visit for up to date information regarding the withdrawal process. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with an advisor and the MT One Stop before making any decisions about withdrawing. Please also consult the Registration Guide ( for withdrawal and fee adjustment deadlines. Questions about withdrawing should be directed to the MT One Stop in SSAC, via phone at (615) 898-2111, or via email at

General Withdrawal Guidelines:

  1. Withdrawing Prior to Term - Students finding it necessary to withdraw from all classes prior to the beginning of a term may withdraw via PipelineMT.
  2. Withdrawing During a Term
    1. During the first two weeks (14 calendar days) of the full Fall or Spring term, courses may be dropped via PipelineMT without assignment of a grade on the official transcript.
    2. Beginning on the 15th calendar day through 60 percent of a full term, students can drop some or all courses via PipelineMT and a grade of “W” will be assigned.
    3. After 60 percent of the term, a complete withdrawal from ALL classes can be accomplished via PipelineMT, through the last day to withdraw in each term. Instructors assign the appropriate grade of “W” if the student is passing or “F/FA” if the student is failing.
    4. After 60 percent of the term, individual courses cannot be dropped via PipelineMT. Individual courses may be dropped if appropriate signatures are obtained on a drop form and submitted to the MT One Stop.
    5. The deadline to withdraw from the University (all classes) and receive a grade of “W” or “F,” as determined by the instructor is generally one week prior to the last day of classes and will be noted in the Registration Guide for each term.

NOTE: Fees, Financial Aid, Housing, etc. can be impacted anytime a student withdraws, stops attending, or drops a course. Consult the Registration Guide and those offices for more information.

Summer parts of term and accelerated parts of term differ; please check Registration Guide for specific dates.

If extreme extenuating circumstances necessitate a student’s withdrawal from the University after 60% of the term, exceptions may be made. A grade of “W” may be recorded with written concurrence of the faculty member, but only if the extenuating circumstances are first verified by the MT One Stop. Students who fall under this category should schedule an appointment with the withdrawal coordinator in the MT One Stop and provide a written statement and all documentation to support their extenuating circumstances. The University Withdrawal Policy can be reviewed at