The B.A. program in Art History is designed for those who wish to pursue careers in museums, galleries, or arts organizations and/or pursue further study at the graduate level. All students pursuing a major in Art History are required to complete the General Education requirements as specified by the department. Students should consult with their advisors each semester in order to plan their schedules of courses.
In addition to the art history core requirements, students majoring in art history must take 24 hours of art history upper- division courses; of these a minimum of six hours must be taken in each of the three art history discipline areas: non-western, medieval/renaissance, and modern/contemporary as listed on the art history upper-division from. Art history majors must maintain a GPA of at least 2.50 in the major and complete a senior thesis before graduation.
The major in Art History requires the completion of a minimum of 46 semester hours including
- a major core of 22 hours:
- ART 1910 , ART 1920 , ART 1930 , ART 3940 , ART 3950 (1 hour), and ART 4970
- HIST 1010 OR HIST 1110 AND HIST 1020 OR HIST 1120
- 24 hours of upper-division art history. Of these a minimum of two courses (6 hours) in each of the three art history discipline areas must be taken: non-western (ART 3870 , ART 3871 , ART 3872 , ART 3880 , ART 4870 , ART 4880 , ART 4940 , and ART 4960 ); medieval/renaissance (ART 3760 , ART 3860 , ART 3910 , ART 3960 , ART 4910 , ART 4940 , and ART 4960 ), and modern/contemporary ( ART 3880 , ART 3990 , ART 4880 , ART 4890 , ART 4900 , ART 4910 , ART 4920 , ART 4940 , and ART 4960 ).
- a minor of at least 15 hours taken from courses in art or another liberal arts discipline approved by the student’s academic advisor.
- foreign language courses in French, German, or Spanish of at least 12 hours in a single language; two courses must be at the intermediate or advanced level.
- elective courses be taken to complete 120 hours (to be chosen in area of emphasis in consultation with advisor).