Jun 01, 2023
Return to: University College
Pamela D. Morris, Program Director
The University College offers the Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.) with concentrations in Human Resources Leadership, Leadership in Nutrition, Operations Research, Strategic Leadership, and Training and Development. For more information, contact Pamela.Morris@mtsu.edu, call (615) 898-5920, or visit www.mtsu.edu/mps.
Admission to the Master of Professional Studies program requires
- an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college;
- an acceptable grade point average (GPA) in all college work taken (at least 2.75 for unconditional admission);
- three (3) letters of recommendation;
- completion of a portfolio of works OR Graduate Record Examination (GRE) based on criteria below:
- completion of a portfolio of works for those with a 3.25 GPA or higher; OR
- completion of a portfolio of works for those with a 2.75 GPA or higher and five (5) years of professional full-time work experience; OR
- completion of the GRE General Test with acceptable scores;
- competency in word processing, library retrieval systems, presentation graphics, spreadsheets, and databases. Students must be computer literate (using email, posting discussions, using chat, webpage navigation, uploading attachments, etc.) as well as have excellent time management skills in order to be successful in the online course environment;
- regular access to a computer and reliable Internet connection.
All application materials are to be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies.
- submit application with the appropriate application fee (online at www.mtsu.edu/graduate/apply.php);
- submit official transcripts from all collegiate institutions attended;
- submit three letters of reference;
- submit official scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). A composite GRE score of 291 (current scale) or 900 (former scale) is expected for consideration of unconditional admission. Applicants with a 2.75 GPA or higher and five (5) years of professional full-time work experience may submit a portfolio of works in place of a GRE score. Applicants who meet this requirement may inquire about the portfolio requirements by e-mailing Pamela.Morris@mtsu.edu or going to www.mtsu.edu/university-college/mps/portfolio.php.
The Master of Professional Studies with a concentration in Strategic Leadership requires completion of a minimum of 30 semester hours.
- complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate credit (see Curriculum section below for specifics);
- complete a professional project during the final semester of the program.
Curriculum: Professional Studies, Strategic Leadership
The following illustrates the minimum coursework requirements.
Strategic Leadership Concentration (15 hours)
At least five courses must be completed, including at least one course from each of the four subject areas.
Organizational Structure and Change
Strategic Planning and Assessment
Professional Project (3 or 4 hours)
- PRST 6998 - Professional Project 3 to 4 credit hours
PRST 6998 must be taken during the final semester of the program. Students should begin planning their projects when they enter the M.P.S. program. They should consult their advisors about appropriate topics and submit their proposals for approval prior to entering this course.
Students applying for EXL Scholar Designation should take EXL 6000 for 1 credit hour.
MPS students are limited to no more than 6 hours of prior learning assessment (PLA) credit and transfer credit combined.
Return to: University College