Sep 22, 2019
Heather Hundley, department chair
The major in Communication with a concentration in Culture and Social Influence emphasizes communication skills that will help students make a difference in their careers, personal lives, and communities. This concentration allows flexibility in areas of emphasis as students analyze varying perceptions and values, develop rhetorical skills, and deepen their understanding of personal relationships. The degree offers entry into a wide range of careers, graduate studies, community service, and personal development.
General Education (41 hours)
General Education requirements include Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
Major Requirements (45 hours)
Communication Major Core (15 hours)
Culture and Social Influence Concentration (12 hours)
Culture and Social Influence Electives (12 hours)
Select 12 credit hours from the following:
Major Electives (6 hours)
Choose two COMM courses not already taken
Foreign Language Requirement (6 hours)
- Students must complete 2010 and 2020 or any 6 hours above the 2000 level in a foreign language or otherwise demonstrate competency in a foreign language.
Total hours in program: 120
Curriculum: Communication, Culture and Social Influence
Curricular listings include General Education requirements in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
The following is a suggested pattern of study. Consult with an advisor before each registration.
- COMM 4320 - Persuasion 3 credit hours
- CSI concentration elective 3 credit hours
- Elective/minor 6 credit hours
- Humanities and/or Fine Arts 3 credit hours
- CSI concentration electives 6 credit hours
- Elective/minor 3 credit hours
- Electives 6 credit hours