Aug 12, 2020
Ron Kates, program coordinator
A major in English consists of 36 hours of which no more than six (6) may be lower-division hours.
- English major core: All majors, regardless of concentration, will take the following: ENGL 3000 or ENGL 3007 ; ENGL 3030 ; ENGL 3010 or ENGL 3020 ; and ENGL 3570 , ENGL 4520 , ENGL 4530 , ENGL 4605 , or ENGL 4670 (approved topics).
- When taught by an English faculty member, WGST, AAS, JHS, and certain interdisciplinary Honors seminars (UH 3500 and UH 4600 ) may be substituted with approval of advisor. No non-departmental lower division courses will be accepted.
- A maximum of six (6) hours of lower-division literature coursework (not counting the General Education requirements) may be taken toward the major. These hours will be appropriately assigned by the student’s departmental advisor. No more than 3 hours (one course) may be taken to satisfy the core course requirement.
- Majors are expected to consult a member of the English faculty each semester regarding the selection and arrangement of electives.
- Recommended minors for English majors include a foreign language minor, Film Studies, History, Linguistic Studies, Philosophy, Political Science, Theatre, Writing, Southern Studies, and Women’s and Gender Studies, but students may choose a minor from those listed under the B.A. requirements (see Academic Policies and Procedures ) or from the interdisciplinary minors (see Interdisciplinary Majors and Minors ).
Beginning with Fall 2012, English majors are instructed to keep the English 3000 or 3007 essay and two other essays from different upper-division classes for submission in the senior writing portfolio. ENGL 4999 (senior writing portfolio) will be required of all English majors graduating under the 2012-13 or later catalogs.
General Education (41 hours)
General Education requirements include courses in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
Major Requirements (36 hours)
English Core (12 hours)
All majors, regardless of concentration, will take the following:
English Foundational Course (3 hours)
English Elective Courses (21 hours)
- Seven ENGL 3000/4000 courses chosen in consultation with departmental advisor
Foreign Language (6 hours)
- Students must successfully complete 2010 and 2020 or any courses numbered above the 2000 level in a single foreign language.
Total hours in program: 120
Recommended Curriculum: English
All students pursuing a major in English must complete the General Education requirements and the requirements for a Bachelor of Arts degree. Students may not begin upper-division English studies until they have completed ENGL 1010 , ENGL 1020 , ENGL 2020 , and ENGL 2030 . Typically, students will begin upper-division English studies in the second semester of their sophomore year with ENGL 3000 and one other English course.
The Academic Maps provide examples of a recommended plan of studies for students who wish to complete their academic requirements within a four-year period. However, there is no single way to complete the program. The department is generally flexible about the order in which courses are taken so long as prerequisites are met. Each English major has an assigned academic advisor. Consulting this advisor regularly will help the student to individualize the program to his or her own needs and interests.
Curricular listings include General Education requirements in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.