Aug 22, 2019
Paul West Osterfield, Program Director
The School of Music offers a Master of Music degree with specializations in collaborative piano, conducting, jazz studies, music composition, music composition for contemporary media, music education, musicology, and performance. A minor in Music is offered at the graduate level.
Please see undergraduate catalog for information regarding undergraduate programs.
Admission to the Master of Music degree program requires
- an earned bachelor’s degree in music from an accredited university or college;
- an acceptable grade point average in all college work taken (at least 3.00).
All application materials are to be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies.
- submit application with the appropriate application fee (online at www.mtsu.edu/graduate/apply.php);
- submit official transcripts of all previous college work;
- submit three letters of recommendation.
Additionally, those seeking a specialization in music composition for contemporary media must submit recordings and scores of three to five of their compositions.
Candidates for the Master of Music with a specialization in music composition for contemporary media must
- complete the curriculum with 70 percent of the total degree hours at the 6000 level (see Curriculum section below for specifics);
- successfully complete both written and oral comprehensive examinations no earlier than the student’s last semester of study. Comprehensive examinations may be repeated once.
Additionally, those with a specialization in music composition for contemporary media must establish proficiencies in music history and music theory* and establish proficiency in a performance skill on an applied instrument or voice and in keyboard (may also fulfill performance-skill requirement).
*NOTE: Diagnostic examinations in music theory and music history will be scheduled during the first week of the first semester of study. Students who do not pass the diagnostic examinations should consult with the graduate coordinator to plan how to meet the requirements. Courses taken to meet proficiency requirements do not count toward the degree.
Curriculum: Music, Music Composition for Contemporary Media
Candidate must complete 36 hours in the following course of study:
Specialization Courses (24 hours)
- file a degree plan in the College of Graduate Studies prior to entry into the program;
- file a Notice of Intent to Graduate form in the College of Graduate Studies within the first two weeks of the term in which candidate intends to graduate.