Sep 22, 2019
Kevin Corns, program coordinator
The Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Operations concentration offers instruction for students who are interested in a career in unmanned aviation. Career opportunities include flying remotely piloted aircraft, providing support services (consulting, data analysis, UAS construction/modification /repair, etc.), or filling managerial roles at a company operating UAS. Students may choose to complete a Private Pilot Certificate at the MTSU Flight School or may complete Remote Pilot Certification as part of the AERO 2710 - sUAS Remote Pilot Certification .
General Education (41 hours)
General Education requirements (shown in curricular listings below) include courses in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences.
The following General Education courses are required for this major:
- MATH 1810 or 1910 (Math)
- PHYS 2011/2011 or PHYS 2110/2111 (Nat Sci)
Major Requirements (49 hours)
Aerospace Core Requirement (13 hours)
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Operations Concentration (36 hours)
Supporting Courses (30 hours)
Total hours in program: 120
Curriculum: Aerospace, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Operations Concentration
Curricular listings include General Education requirements in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
This concentration allows students who wish to do so to obtain manned pilot certificates through flight training conducted at the MTSU Flight School. All required flight training must be conducted in a flight lab, in University owned and maintained aircraft, and by flight instructors screened and trained for their positions by MTSU. All flight labs will be conducted from the Murfreesboro Municipal Airport. Admission to the University does not guarantee enrollment in a flight lab. To enroll in a flight lab, students must submit a Flight Lab Request Form for each and every semester they wish to fly. The deadlines to submit Flight Lab Request Forms are as follows:
Fall semester-June 30
Spring semester-November 15
Summer session-April 15
Flight Lab Request Forms submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Enrollment in flight labs is limited and selection is made from eligible candidates who are best qualified based on cumulative GPA. Incoming freshmen typically do not receive a flight lab for their first semester. To become eligible for a flight lab, candidates must meet the following minimum standards:
- have a college cumulative grade point average of 2.50;
- have a current Second Class FAA medical certificate;
- must be in good standing within the department and University (if a transfer student, candidate cannot be on probation in any form);
- have no physical disability that would prohibit completion of the course requirements;
- have the full required amount of flight lab funds deposited in their flight account by the last day of the first week of classes;
- have completed all required prerequisite classes for the desired lab;
- for US citizens or permanent green card holders, present a valid current passport OR an original state-issued birth certificate AND a valid government-issued picture ID on the first day of class; for international students, receive approval from the Transportation Security Administration and the Alien Flight Student Program (AFSP) prior to the first day of class.
Retention in the Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Operations concentration is based on maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better. Violation of any MTSU safety practice or procedure or any FAA regulations will result in immediate termination from the program. Flight fees will be paid directly to MTSU, and students must maintain a positive balance in their training accounts at all times. Lab fee information and a complete explanation of all requirements for flight labs can be found in the Additional Lab Information packet obtained through the MTSU Aerospace website, at the MTSU Flight School, or Aerospace Department main office.