Jul 20, 2018
Rebecca Smith, program coordinator
The major in Social Work leads to a Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) degree which is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The program’s primary objective is to prepare the student for beginning professional practice in social work. It also provides a foundation for students planning to pursue graduate study in social work.
Admission to the Social Work Program
All Social Work majors must be formally admitted to the Social Work Program in order to be admitted into the practice courses and field work courses and to obtain a Bachelor of Social Work degree. Students who are not yet formally admitted will be identified as pre-social work majors.
- Requirements for admission to the Social Work Program:
- completion of at least 60 semester hours toward a degree including at least 41 hours of General Education requirements;
- completion of SW 2570 Introduction to Social Work and 3 additional hours in social work courses with a grade of C- or better;
- an overall GPA of 2.00 for degree credit courses;
- completion of volunteer work in a social service setting is recommended to enhance your application;
- possession of personal qualities consistent with social work values and ethics and the ability to relate to others with warmth and emotional stability.
- Application procedure. Student must complete an application packet which consists of
- application for Social Work major form;
- three reference forms, at least one of which is from an MTSU Social Work professor or Social Work academic advisor. If the applicant is a recent transfer student, a Social Work professor from another college may be used.
- current unofficial University transcript printed from PipelineMT.
- Criteria for acceptance into the Social Work Program:
- submission of completed application packet by deadline date of the appropriate semester;
- judgment of satisfactory quality of application materials as determined by the score on the admissions assessment form completed by a least two members of the Social Work Admissions Committee;
- recommendation of the admissions committee must be approved by faculty vote;
- students receiving a score of 85 or higher on the admissions assessment form are assured of acceptance into the major.
General Education (41 hours)
General Education requirements (shown in curricular listings below) include courses in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences.
The following General Education courses are recommended for this major:
- PSY 1410 (Soc/Beh Sci)
- SOC 1010 (Soc/Beh Sci)
- BIOL 1030/1031 (Nat Sci)
Major Requirements (54 hours)
Students must earn a C- or better in all of the following courses in order to graduate.
Electives/Minor (25 hours)
Total hours in program: 120
Curriculum: Social Work
Curricular listings include General Education requirements in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.