Feb 19, 2019
Michelle Boyer-Pennington, program coordinator
Students who apply for the major in Psychology with a Pre-graduate School concentration should be those who will be competitive applicants for Ph.D. or competitive master’s programs. GPA is an important consideration for admission to these programs. A subcommittee of the Undergraduate Studies Committee will screen students applying for the concentration, and students will be admitted to the program only upon approval of their application.
The following are required for admission to this concentration: (a) a minimum 3.25 overall GPA; (b) a 3.50 GPA for the last 30 hours; (c) a 3.50 major GPA.
To graduate with this concentration, students must achieve an overall GPA of 3.25. It is recommended that students apply for admission to this concentration between the completion of 45 and 60 hours.
Students may only apply for this concentration once they have successfully achieved candidacy to the Psychology major. A minimum of 9 hours from the set of “Required Core Courses” and at last 6 other psychology hours must be taken at MTSU.
NOTE: Students do not have to pursue the Pre-graduate School concentration to attend graduate school.
Admission to Candidacy
All students are required to be admitted to candidacy for the Psychology major. To apply for candidacy, a student must have
- completed at least 30 hours of coursework (not to include learning support courses);
- completed the following General Education requirements: ENGL 1010; ENGL 1020; MATH 1530, MATH 1710, MATH 1730, or higher; and a science course (preferably a biology course) with a minimum 2.00 GPA;
- completed the following psychology courses: PSY 1410, PSY 2000, and PSY 2210 or PSY 2300 with a minimum 2.00 GPA. (A grade of C- or better is required in PSY 1410, PSY 2210, and PSY 2300.)
Candidacy will be granted three times per year-after the end of the Fall and Spring semesters and after the end of the Summer term. Students will have required advising every semester until they have successfully completed admission to candidacy.
The application for admission to candidacy is an online application.
NOTE: Students should follow the recommended sequence of courses for the freshman year on the academic map.
General Education (41 hours)
General Education requirements include Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
The following General Education courses are required for this major.
- PSY 1410 (Soc/Beh Sci)
- MATH 1530, MATH 1710, MATH 1730, or higher (Math)
Major Requirements (41 hours)
A grade of of B- or better must be earned in PSY 3020, 3070, and 4070 and a C- or better in all other core courses. PSY 4080 requires a grade of B- or better in PSY 3070 and PSY 4070.
Minor (15-18 hours)
- Selected from outside the Department of Psychology.
Total hours in program: 120
Curriculum: Psychology, Pre-graduate School
Curricular listings include General Education requirements in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
- PSY required core class 3 credit hours
- Minor 3 credit hours
- PSY electives and general electives 19-24 credit hours (at least 3 credit hours must be PSY credit hours)