May 27, 2018
Advisor: Kristine McCusker
The minor in Media, History, and Culture consists of 18 hours. Two core history courses selected from HIST 3050 , HIST 3180 , HIST 3870 , HIST 4045 , HIST 4070 , or HIST 4740 are required. Liberal Arts majors must take JOUR 1020 /EMC 1020 in place of one of the core history courses. Majors from colleges other than Liberal Arts must select their four electives from College of Liberal Arts courses. No more than two courses may be taken for minor credit from any one department.
Interdisciplinary minors require the student to complete a minimum of 15 to 21 hours from a list of specific courses. Unless otherwise noted, a student may take no more than 6 hours of courses from a single department until he or she surpasses the required minimum number of hours necessary for completing the minor. Exceptions to this rule may be found within the discussions of several of the minors. In most cases, a student is also limited to just 3 hours of credit toward the minor in the same department or discipline in which he or she is taking a major. Except for the Paralegal Studies minor, no course may be counted both for major and minor credit. Students must fulfill all departmental prerequisites for any course within an interdisciplinary minor. In some cases, advisors may approve course substitutions within these program requirements.
Required Courses (6 hours)*
*History majors must substitute JOUR 1020 /EMC 1020 for one of the history core.
Non-College of Liberal Arts Courses
- JOUR 1020 - American Media and Social Institutions 3 credit hours OR
- EMC 1020 - American Media and Social Institutions 3 credit hours OR
- RIM 1020 - American Media and Social Institutions 3 credit hours
- JOUR 3650 - Free Expression, Mass Media, and the American Public 3 credit hours OR
- RIM 3650 - Free Expression, Mass Media, and the American Public 3 credit hours OR
- EMC 3650 - Free Expression, Mass Media, and the American Public 3 credit hours
- JOUR 3000 - Introduction to Motion Pictures 3 credit hours
- JOUR 3600 - Digital and Media Literacy 3 credit hours
- JOUR 4240 - Television, Culture, and History 3 credit hours
- JOUR 4510 - Media History and Culture 3 credit hours
- JOUR 4670 - Cultural Approaches to Media 3 credit hours
- JOUR 4820 - Race, Gender, and Class in Media 3 credit hours
- PHOT 3040 - History of Photography 3 credit hours
- PHOT 4060 - Photojournalism 3 credit hours
- RIM 3000 - History of the Recording Industry 3 credit hours
- RIM 3100 - Introduction to Popular Music Studies 3 credit hours
- RIM 3600 - Survey of the Recording Industry 3 credit hours
- UH 4600 - Senior Interdisciplinary Seminar 3 credit hours
- WGST 4204 - Symposium in Women's Studies: Women and Television 3 credit hours
Courses in Media and Entertainment cannot be taken for minor credit by Journalism and Media Arts majors.