Mar 21, 2018
Department of Media Arts
Kevin McNulty, program coordinator
The Animation major is designed for those who wish to work professionally in animation and/or imaging, including character animation, video games, motion graphics, visual effects, simulation and visualization, and image manipulation. This program blends theoretical and hands-on approaches to traditional and digital animation. Students are encouraged to complete their education with internships in professional settings.
The major requires a minor in Art as described below.
NOTE: Students must earn a C (2.00) or better in each course in the college in order to graduate.
Admission to Candidacy
To be admitted to candidacy in Animation, the student must meet the following requirements:
- 45 hours completed before applying for candidacy
- Grade of C (2.00) or better in each of the following pre-candidacy courses:
EMC 1020 /JOUR 1020 /RIM 1020
PHOT 1050 /EMC 1050
- Math course satisfying General Education requirements.
- Minimum overall GPA in pre-candidacy and Math coursework of 2.50.
- Candidacy score using the following criteria
- Overall Pre-Candidacy and Math courses GPA x 10 (40 points)
- Portfolio Review based on work from classes and personal (60 points)
- Traditional Art (drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, design, other)
- Still Digital Art (digital)
- Animation (2D, 3D, stop motion, other)
- Candidacy scores will be calculated using the following formula:
- (Overall Pre-Candidacy and Math courses GPA x 10) + Portfolio Scoring Sheet = 100 points)
- 40 points + 60 Points = 100 points
- Candidacy will be granted to students earning a score of 90 or better. A limited number of additional students may be admitted each semester based upon admissions score and available resources.
General Education (41 hours)
General Education requirements (shown in curricular listings below) include courses in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences.
Major Requirements (48 hours)
Animation Requirements (39 hours)
Computer Literacy Requirement (3-4 hours)
Electives (9-13 hours)
- Depending on General Education Social/Behavioral Sciences course selection
Total hours in program: 120
Curricular listings include General Education requirements in Communication, History, Humanities and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
- ANIM 4400 - Animation Seminar I 3 credit hours
- Humanities and/or Fine Arts 3 credit hours
- Natural Sciences 4 credit hours
- Media Arts elective 3 credit hours
- Elective 3 credit hours