Nov 30, 2020
Academic Advisor for MSN Program
The Nursing Administration Certificate program provides a formal program of study for master’s-prepared nurses interested in obtaining a credential allowing them to assume a management position in a health care setting. Content necessary in nursing administration-including health care finance, human resource management, and quality management in health care-is provided. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible to sit for the national certification exam. This certificate is the optimal way for those already holding a master’s degree and desiring this specialization to gain marketability without having to complete an entire second master’s degree.
Admission to the program is based on competitive selection from the pool of applicants who meet the College of Graduate Studies admission requirements from the designated home school.
Additional admission requirements for the Nursing Administration Certificate Program include
- a master’s degree in nursing from an accredited program (NLNAC or CCNE);
- residence in Tennessee;
- an unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Tennessee;
- an MSN degree with an overall GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale (conditional admission will be considered with a 2.9 overall MSN GPA);
- TOEFL score of 600 if native language is not English;
- a written document prepared by the applicant that includes a resume, a discussion of prior professional experience, future career goals, and reasons for pursuing the certificate program;
- letters of recommendation from at least three persons (a minimum of one academic) familiar with the applicant’s academic and professional background and experience in nursing practice.
Students are advised to contact the graduate program advisor in the School of Nursing before beginning the application procedure. Applications are due by 1 October for spring admission, 1 February for summer admission, and 1 April for fall admission.
- submit application with the appropriate application fee (online at www.mtsu.edu/graduate/apply.php);
- submit official copies of transcripts;
- submit three signed letters of recommendation;
- submit an updated vita or resume;
- submit a copy of RN license.
NOTE: All students must first apply to TN eCampus program at www.tnecampus.org. Students approved and assigned to MTSU will then apply to the MTSU College of Graduate Studies.
- complete 21 hours of graduate nursing courses with a B or better in all courses,
- maintain current documentation within the School of Nursing document storage account, and
- complete a practicum in accordance with TN eCampus requirements for this degree.
Curriculum: Nursing Administration
Candidate must complete 21 credit hours of graduate nursing courses.
- NURS 6301 - Nursing Administration I 3 credit hours
- NURS 6302 - Nursing Administration II 3 credit hours
- NURS 6303 - Health Care Finance 3 credit hours
- NURS 6304 - Human Resource Management 3 credit hours
- NURS 6305 - Quality Management in Nursing and Health Care 3 credit hours
- NURS 6307 - Nursing Management Practicum 2 credit hours
- NURS 6309 - Nursing Administration Practicum 4 credit hours
- Please contact your advisor in the School of Nursing for information about required clinical hours.