Nov 30, 2020
NOTE: Until further notice, applications are not being accepted for this program due to a severe shortage of Nursing Informatics faculty. No new students will be admitted after Spring 2014.
Academic Advisor for MSN Program
The Nursing Informatics Certificate program provides a formal program of study for masters-degree prepared nurses interested in obtaining a credential allowing them to assume a position in health care informatics within various health care settings. Upon completion of the program, the student is eligible to sit for the national certification exam. This certificate is the optimal way for those already holding a master’s degree and desiring this specialization to gain marketability without having to complete an entire second master’s degree.
Admission to the certificate program is based on competitive selection from the pool of applicants who meet the College of Graduate Studies admission requirements from the designated home school. Additional requirements for the Nursing Informatics Certificate Program include
- a master’s degree in nursing from an accredited program (NLNAC or CCNE);
- residence in Tennessee;
- an unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Tennessee;
- an MSN degree with an overall GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale (conditional admission will be considered with a 2.9 overall MSN GPA);
- TOEFL score of 600 if native language is not English;
- a written document prepared by the applicant that includes a resume, a discussion of prior professional experience, future career goals, and reasons for pursuing the certificate program;
- letters of recommendation from at least three persons (a minimum of one academic) familiar with the applicant’s academic and professional background and experience in nursing practice.
Students are advised to contact the graduate program advisor in the School of Nursing before beginning the application procedure. Applications are due by October 1 for spring admission, February 1 for summer admission, and April 1 for fall admission.
- submit application with the appropriate application fee (online at www.mtsu.edu/graduate/apply.php);
- submit official copies of transcripts;
- submit three signed letters of recommendation;
- submit an updated vita or resume;
- submit a copy of RN license.
NOTE: All students must first apply to the TN eCampus program at www.TNecampus.org. Students approved and assigned to MTSU will then apply to the MTSU College of Graduate Studies.
Candidate must complete 23 hours of graduate nursing courses.
Curriculum: Nursing Informatics
Candidate must complete 23 hours in the following course of study:
- Only two repeated courses are allowed.
- More than two grades below “C” will lead to dismissal from the program.
- Please contact your advisor in the School of Nursing for information about required clinical hours.