Feb 21, 2020
Department of Biology
Dennis Mullen, program coordinator
The major in Biology requires 42 semester hours including a biology core for all concentrations of 29 semester hours:
- BIOL 1110 /BIOL 1111 and BIOL 1120 /BIOL 1121 ;
- BIOL 2230 /BIOL 2231 , BIOL 3250 /BIOL 3251 , BIOL 3400 /BIOL 3401 , BIOL 3500 , BIOL 4200 ;
- BIOL 4110 /BIOL 4111 (Zoology Track) or BIOL 4210 /BIOL 4211 or BIOL 4500 (Botany Track).
Other requirements include
- MATH 1910 and one of the following: BIOL 4350 /BIOL 4351 or MATH 2050 or MATH 1920 ;
- 12 hours of chemistry (CHEM 1110 /CHEM 1111 , CHEM 1120 /CHEM 1121 , and CHEM 2030 /CHEM 2031 or CHEM 3010 /CHEM 3011 ).
All Biology majors are assigned a faculty advisor through the Biology Department Office. The student is responsible for seeking the assistance of the advisor. This catalog is not intended to provide the detail necessary for self-advising.
Every Biology major is required to declare a concentration area. Each area requires semester hours to be selected from a set of designated courses.
Students may select from the Organismal Biology and Ecology concentration courses below or may choose from the botany, zoology, ecology, or general biology (satisfies Teacher Education requirements) tracks.
Minimum of 10 hours selected from
Select at least two courses from the following:
Curriculum: Biology, Organismal Biology and Ecology (Ecology)
Curricular listings include General Education requirements in Communication, History, Humanities, and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
- BIOL 4200 - Seminar 2 credit hours
- Upper-division BIOL 4 credit hours
- Electives 9-6 credit hours
- Upper-division minor or electives 6-9 credit hours
- BIOL Organismal and Ecology Concentration-Ecology Track 6-7 credit hours
Total hours in program: 120