Department of Social Work
Rebecca Smith, program coordinator
The major in Social Work leads to a Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) degree which is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The program’s primary objective is to prepare the student for beginning professional practice in social work. It also provides a foundation for students planning to pursue graduate study in social work.
Students who choose to pursue a major in Social Work must take a minimum of 54 hours including SW 2570 , SW 2630 , SW 3000 , SW 3110 , SW 3120 , SW 3160 , SW 3161 , SW 3200 , SW 4480 , SW 4580 , SW 4590 , SW 4650 , SW 4680 , and SW 4690 ; and one of the following: SW 3050 , SW 3100 , SW 3170 , SW 3250 , SW 4150 , SW 4200 , SW 4430 , SW 4440 , SW 4620 , SW 4640 , SW 4720 . The student must earn a C or better in all courses in the major in order to graduate.
Admission to the Social Work Program
All Social Work majors must be formally admitted to the Social Work Program in order to be admitted into the practice courses and field work courses and to obtain a Bachelor of Social Work degree. Students who are not yet formally admitted will be identified as pre-social work majors.
- Requirements for admission to the Social Work Program:
- completion of at least 60 semester hours toward a degree including at least 41 hours of General Education requirements;
- completion of SW 2570 Introduction to Social Work and 3 additional hours in social work courses with a grade of C or better;
- an overall GPA of 2.00 for degree credit courses;
- completion of volunteer work in a social service setting is recommended to enhance your application;
- possession of personal qualities consistent with social work values and ethics and the ability to relate to others with warmth and emotional stability.
- Application procedure. Student must complete an application packet which consists of
- application for Social Work major form;
- three reference forms, at least one of which is from an MTSU social work professor;
- current University transcript.
- Criteria for acceptance into the Social Work Program:
- submission of completed application packet by deadline date of the appropriate semester;
- judgment of satisfactory quality of essay and suitability for professional social work by Social Work Faculty Admissions Committee;
- a majority of “above average” and “outstanding” ratings on reference forms.
In addition, acceptance into the Social Work Program will be based upon the Social Work Faculty Admissions Committee’s assessment of the student’s potential for graduating with a B.S.W. degree and the student’s interest and commitment to the pursuit of a career in the field of social services. Recommendation of the admissions committee must be approved by faculty vote.