Feb 21, 2020
Department of Biology
Steve Wright, program coordinator
The major in Biology requires 42 semester hours including a biology core for all concentrations of 29 semester hours:
- BIOL 1110 /BIOL 1111 and BIOL 1120 /BIOL 1121 ;
- BIOL 2230 /BIOL 2231 , BIOL 3250 /BIOL 3251 , BIOL 3400 /BIOL 3401 , BIOL 3500 , BIOL 4200 ;
- BIOL 4110 /BIOL 4111 or BIOL 4210 /BIOL 4211 or BIOL 4500 .
Other requirements include
- MATH 1910 and one of the following: BIOL 4350 /BIOL 4351 or MATH 2050 or MATH 1920 ;
- 12 hours of chemistry (CHEM 1110 /CHEM 1111 , CHEM 1120 /CHEM 1121 , and CHEM 2030 /CHEM 2031 or CHEM 3010 /CHEM 3011 ).
All Biology majors are assigned a faculty advisor through the Biology Department Office. The student is responsible for seeking the assistance of the advisor. This catalog is not intended to provide the detail necessary for self-advising.
Every Biology major is required to declare a concentration area. Each area requires semester hours to be selected from a set of designated courses.
Minimum of 10 hours selected from
Curriculum: Biology, Microbiology
Curricular listings include General Education requirements in Communication, History, Humanities, and/or Fine Arts, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, and Social/Behavioral Sciences categories.
- BIOL concentration 6-7 credit hours
- Upper-division minor or elective 6-9 credit hours**
- Upper-division BIOL elective 4 credit hours
- Elective (3000-4000 level) 3 credit hours
- Elective 3-6 credit hours**
- BIOL 4200 - Seminar 2 credit hours
Total hours in program: 120
*See advisor for additional choices in this area.
**Must include 16 hours of upper-division classes.